Monday, July 11, 2011

Is the Cup Half Full, Half Empty, or does it Need to be Drained?


I went to the Neurologist for my follow up appointment today. He is located at St. Thomas Hospital in Nashville. There were no big surprises since I had spoken with him briefly on the phone on Thursday of last week. I'm being referred to a spinal surgeon to be told (hopefully) that there are other ways to get a little relief other than surgery. I'm also going to be starting some physical therapy.

After the appointment, I wandered around the hospital for a bit. I visited the gift shop and bought a stress ball (see image above) and a coin purse. I also communed with fish.



It has been years since I have been inside a Catholic hospital, so I also went inside the chapel. I sat for a very long time. Don't tell anyone, but I fell asleep and woke myself up from snoring. Shhh!

The drugs make me sleepy? Yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I was probably safer driving back to work after the little chapel nap.

My reflection for today comes from something I was thinking about while in the chapel. I was thinking about the coin purse I bought in the gift shop. I think we all know what normally goes inside these until looking a little closer.


The notion of needing to be an empty vessel really struck me. I think we can be filled with lots of things, some of them good, some of the not so good, but when we are too full, there is no room left in our glass for things like peace and comfort. Comfort was my word of the day today. Have I been too full of other things to be able to give and receive comfort?

So, as I struggle through why I tingle and whatnot, today's thought is to ask to be made empty so that I can be filled with comfort, peace, and thanksgiving. Just as a pot can be full with honey or dirt for a flower, so I wish to be made empty to again be filled. My little purse won't be filled with baby feet, but that's ok too. I thought it looked fun.

This small space filled with fluid in my spine has me thinking all sorts of things. I took a moment to think today. I hope you do too.

Peace and hugs,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment