Monday, August 1, 2011

What Does It Mean For Life To Be Straight?


One often hears about the "straight and narrow." These trees are straight and narrow, yet they are all over the place. Today's thoughts are, of course, about my back. Was I really born with this syrinx or did it recently happen? Can I ever visit a chiropractor again? Can I make myself sit up straight in a chair? The physical therapist seems to think this is quite essential. The lumbar pillow I have is driving me nutty at work. I can't get used it it. Driving with it isn't too bad, but sitting at my desk all day with it at work is a challenge.

And then there is the important question. If I do all these things: the physical therapy, the medication, the posture stuff, etc., will these bizarre sensations ever stop? Will I ever be free of the anxiety that I'm going to have crazy muscle spasms?

I'm thinking that there is a lot to these things going on with me. Maybe I'll never know the answer. Maybe I'm not supposed to know the answer. Instead, I'll look to the design of these trees and reflect upon the very real possibility that I may have to just trust that everything will be okay. The situation with my body may never fully straighten out.

No comments:

Post a Comment